Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thank You Concerta

I have realized for some time now that my attention and distractability have been steadily increasing and it has concerned me. I decided to research more about adult ADHD instead of child focused ADHD. I found a fantastic resource and checklist that posed the symptoms specific and adult tailored. Here are a few of my ADHD highlights:
  • frequently misplaces things (where are my keys, where is my phone?)
  • difficulty learning new tasks because it is hard to stay on track during directions
  • restlessness (evident to my nail biting and picking)
  • internal sense of anxiety and nervousness
  • low frustration tolerance, impatient
  • chronically in a hurry (get up at 5:45 in the morning, and yet it is a rush to leave to school the last 5 minutes before we need to leave)
  • often have piles of stuff
  • poor financial management, late bills (every stinkin month!)
  • chronic procrastination and poor follow through (laundry!!!!!!)
  • difficulty waking up in the morning
  • periods of low energy and frequently feeling tired (always, and constant)
Even after seeing all of these symptoms/characteristics, I did not do anything until it hit the point that I could not sit to finish a client note at work without getting up, and actually not finishing a note all together. Yet still I did not make the call until I missed a school project due date for my son. At that point it was effecting my sons education.

Needless to say I made the appointment, saw the doctor and after some discussion decided to try the stimulant Concerta. Wow!! I have energy, I have focus, I have follow through, I can complete on task before moving on to the next, oh and did I mention energy!!

On my first day back to work on the Concerta it was wonderful. My desk was a complete disaster and nightmare (see picture below), but I was able to prioritize and organize while staying completely seated and not having to get up in the middle of writing notes and organizing my charts.

Thank You Concerta.






No comments:

Post a Comment