Friday, September 24, 2010

Talent

Carson told me he did not want a talent.

But let me back track a few minutes before this statement. He had come home from school tired, ate dinner just got started playing with his new Bayblades and it was time to head to violin group class.

Here is how our conversation progressed:

"Why did you sign me up for group class mom?"

"Because it helps you to review your songs and learn to play with a group and increase your technique and violin playing abilities."

"I don't want to play the violin"

"It is your talent, I said"

"Sister does not have a talent"

"Yes she does, she goes to two different dance classes"

"Why do I have to have a talent, I want to play with Chris every night"

Here is where I broke out in my dissertation of the importance of having a talent and something to work toward, character building etc. I reminded him of all the teenagers who hang out at the neighborhood park and take all the play equipment so young kids do not have an opportunity to play on it. Most of the time the teenagers are destroying the swings, and using very, horribly offensive language, that I have on occasion told them to stop, and have oft time left the park. Anyway, I told Carson, "You are not going to be one of those kids."

Needless to say, we made it to violin class. He finished class and was telling his friend he is finishing book one and taking his book exam.

The next night he decided to play a few songs for Aunt Di's dog Bruno, who really seemed to enjoy it!

So, for now, the talent remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment