Friday, August 27, 2010

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to me,
happy birthday to me,
happy birthday.......

Is it OK just not to celebrate my birthday this year? It has historically never been a wonderful time for me. In my younger years, school had not started, so I did not have big class parties. As I got older school always started right around my birthday, or on my birthday. Happy Birthday, you get to go back to school! Then as an adult, I just don't know, it has never been memorable.

This years birthday is marked with family chaos. When I was asked a week ago by my sister what kind of cake I wanted her to make for me, I suggested spice cake, thinking of the box cake mix for $2.99.

Well, mom took that out of the ball park and made all these calls to local bakeries to find spice cake. Nonetheless to bakeries that make specialty cakes that cost half her social security pay check. Apologetically, she tells me no one makes spice cake until the fall around Halloween. So she did finally resort to the box mix and picked up all the ingredients apparently thinking my sister may or may not make the cake. Of course, this made my sister quite upset as she had already stated she would make the cake. That is her specialty. My kids get excited every year that Aunt Di makes them a special birthday cake.

Needless to say, the cake has turned out to be an issue, my dad has brought a host of issues to the family dynamic, and has not called to see if there are any birthday plans, and I have to work all day. Really, in the end, I just don't feel much like celebrating, it will be marred with stress.

1 comment: