Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Kudos

At work, and sometimes in my personal life, I feel like I am a hamster just running in my wheel. With all the clients I see, I do not always feel like I am making progress with the children in therapy, and some clients leave therapy before we can get to the real "work" of therapy. I feel like many days are spent just assessing and planning, with clients not returning. I do not always get to see the positive progress along the way, or end result of some clients.

But yesterday, I received the best message I could have received, and it was so needed to boost my morale before heading to work tomorrow, It was only three sentences but so poignant.

This mom wrote; "We are SO happy and feel extremely fortunate to be working with you! You take the time to listen to our concerns and ideas and understand (name of client)! You are WONDERFUL and we can't thank you enough!"

I first have to say a huge thank you to this mom, because I needed it. Second, I give this mom kudos herself. Her 6 year old daughter has been diagnosed as selectively mute, although my diagnosis is Asperger's and anxiety. Either way, she has been able to leave her job, home school her daughter and has researched every avenue for possible treatment. She brings in a notebook to our therapy sessions to take notes on ideas I have to try with her daughter, and actually goes home and uses them! So refreshing, I as a therapist cannot fix your child alone in my 50 minutes every two weeks session, it takes work at home. If parents would do the work now, while their child is young, it will make it easier for both the parents and the child when they are older.

No comments:

Post a Comment