Saturday, July 23, 2011

Special, Special Needs

I think my special needs kids are becoming more "special" as they age!

Carson is completely perseverating on Beyblades to an extreme. One more TV episode, or conversation about Beyblades and I might start spinning off my rocker like the Beyblades. Carson takes at least one, if not more Beyblades with him everywhere and usually one of the battle arenas accompany us in the car. I am happy that he wants to "earn" Beyblades since I don't just buy them, but honestly, it is just enough, I rather do dishes then have him do them for a week to earn one more hunk of spinning metal!

Getting this ADD kid to read this summer has also been a challenge, that is if he has to read anything other then Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I think Carson enjoys this series because the main character has a little Aspie in him just like Carson. I have also heard repeatedly from Nana that he cannot remember long sequences of numbers to add, or where he was in certain reading or math problems. Yes Nana, this is common, and this is what I battle with all through the school year, so cut him (and me) a little slack on his summer workbooks.

Little Adeline has not been formally diagnosed with ADHD, but there is no question in anybodys mind that she is an ADHD'r. She asks questions and does not even give me time to respond before she moves on, her body is in constant motion from the moment she wakes up, till the time she actually falls asleep.

She wants someone to read to her, and wants to read her own book too, "because I can do more then one thing at a time." One minute she is tap dancing, and 2 seconds later she is starting a craft project. I always know where Adeline has been in the house based on her little "tornado" areas with stuff everywhere and half completed projects or games. Ms. Adeline is constant for sure, and so are her emotional moods and meltdowns too.

Good thing I know which kindergarten teacher she will have in August. We will be constant companions for 9 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment