Wednesday, December 23, 2009

That's What I Get

My son plays the violin. He is lucky enough to study with the same violin teacher I had. Ms. M. is not only an accomplished violinist, but was a second mother to me growing up, and a phenomenal woman. So, I consider it an honor that she is teaching him.

On to the story.......

My son was at his lesson, he and Ms. M. were rehearsing for is upcoming solo. I stepped out to take his sister to the restroom. In that maybe 4 and 1/2 minutes, I came back and Ms. M. and my mom, decided that I needed to play the violin duet with my son for one of his songs. How did that happen? When I left, I heard music playing, when I came back in, I was now part of a solo recital, in three days nonetheless.

Like any good mother (like my mom and Ms. M. would let me say no anyway), I pulled my violin out, dusted it off, and started to practice with my son for our mother son duet. I love the violin, and love playing when I do play, so I was enjoying playing with him.

The next day, I received a call from my mother. Among many topics discussed she asked how my son's songs were sounding and were we practicing our duet. I proudly said "yes we have." In a tone only my mother can have, and a comment only my mother would say, she asked......... do you have it memorized so there is not a stand on the stage? A roll of my eyes and 3 deep breaths later, I calmly answered, no, and I did not plan on memorizing my part.

With 4 Christmas parties, 2 school holiday programs, a dance recital, violin recital, a new job I started last week, and hosting Christmas Eve dinner at my house, not to mention 10 family members who left 5 days ago, oh and lets not forget the crashed computer, which made downloading pictures and ordering Christmas cards a feat ......... I just am not going to memorize my duet part to Jolly Old St. Nicholas. I will be happy if my son is showered, hair done, wearing his tie, and we remember his violin!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment