Friday, September 4, 2009

My Day

Whew!!! What a morning. This is how my daughter spent her morning. As bad as it looks, I am grateful, for it could have been worse.

We dropped my son off to school, went to my work for a brief period of time, and went back to school for the PTSA meeting. It was not until we arrived home and I could not get her Strawberry soda quick enough, that my daughter started into a full on tantrum with screaming, crying and snaking around on our floor.

I have learned through the past 3 1/2 years of my daughter's life, with consultation from her auntie, whose personality my daughter has, that it is best to leave her alone and let her work it out. Meltdowns are often a plea for alone time.

So, in the middle of her meltdown, I left her alone to start a load of laundry. When it became quiet I went in search of her in the house. I saw she was not downstairs and started walking upstairs to find her in her room with her door closed. I am 100% sure she was sitting with her back against the door so I could not get in. A few minutes later she walked out of her room and I asked if she was alright, to which she replied "I'm o.k." Then her door shut again. The next time she emerged from behind her closed door life was good and she was composed.

Like I had mentioned above, it could have been worse. This tantrum could have taken place at my work, or during the PTSA meeting. I am glad that she feels like home is a place where she can "let loose'" and feel comfortable enough to do so. To me, that means as a parent, I have provided her a safe place, where emotions and feelings are safe to express, and underneath it all she knows she will be loved, even after the melt down of all meltdowns.

No comments:

Post a Comment